LEWES BOWLS CLUB NEWSLETTER – FEBRUARY 2018
We hope you are “wintering” well and surviving the flu season without too much trouble. Here is an update on Club affairs since the AGM.
1. Management Committee – The following members were elected at the AGM :- Chairman David Holmes, General Secretary Chris Sykes, Membership & Social Secretary Dave Marchant, Treasurer Dave Nellar, Bar Manager Peter Pratt, Pavilion Manager Terry Pickering, Committee member Eve Empringham.
2. Bowls Committee – Captain David Holmes, General Secretary/ Men’s County Delegate Chris Sykes, Ladies County Delegate Val Taylor, Fixtures Secretary Paula Stanyer, Elected members Howard Young, Jean Pengelly.
The Captaincy role will need to be shared again this year on a monthly basis. Anyone wishing to have a go, please contact David Holmes for further information.
3. In regard to the above Committees and looking forward, notice was given at the AGM that Paula wished to stand down from the position of Fixtures Secretary at the end of this year. Also Terry Pickering asked for someone else to pick up the role of organising the match raffles. Please, if anyone would be prepared to take the raffles on for the year, can you let one of the Management Committee know. On the fixtures Secretary position, we also need to have someone come forward this year so that they can shadow Paula and enable a smooth changeover to occur at the end of the year. Both these positions are vital to the running of the Club, so please help out if you can.
4. Season start and end dates – We start a week earlier this year, with the Opening Drive on Sunday 22nd April and the Closing Drive (Gibson Trophy) on Sunday 30th September. There are no fixtures scheduled for the first week, which gives us some practice time to get our hands in again! The fixture list for the season has been finalised and will be sent out to all members very soon. Please have a look at this and start to pencil in dates for matches you would like to play in before your diaries fill up. Match sheets will be put up at the Pre season Meeting (to be held on Saturday 14th April, 10.00am in the Pavilion) and it will be good to see these being filled up quickly! The Club will also be arranging coaching sessions during the season, so keep an eye on the notice boards for dates. Everybody welcome to come to these.
5. Subscriptions & Fees for 2018. All members should have received their renewal forms by now. For the record, it was agreed at the AGM to put the Full Membership subscription up to £115.00 and the Social Membership up to £12.00. In the latter case, the subscription has not altered for many years and it was felt that a small increase was now justified. All other fees remain the same. IMPORTANT – NEW RULES ARE BEING IMPLEMENTED ON DATA PROTECTION WHICH ARE REQUIRED TO BE IN PLACE BY MAY THIS YEAR. WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF CHECKING WITH ACTIVE SUSSEX AND BOWLS ENGLAND TO ENSURE THE CLUB COMPLIES. ADDRESSES AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS OF MEMBERS ARE RECORDED BY THE CLUB ON A MEMBERSHIP LIST AND MEMBER’S NAMES AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS ARE LISTED IN THE FIXTURE LIST. COULD YOU PLEASE LET THE MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY, DAVE MARCHANT, KNOW WHETHER OR NOT YOU AGREE TO HAVE THESE DETAILS RECORDED IN THIS WAY AND AVAILABLE TO OTHER MEMBERS. IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED IF THIS COULD BY DONE IN WRITING OR BY EMAIL PLEASE.
6. “100” Club – This has been a useful source of income in the past and will run again this year. There is always the chance of money prize for a bit of fun and we hope members will continue to take part in this. Prize draws occur during the year depending on how many members take part and you never know, you might come out in the black!
7. Pavilion Maintenance – As mentioned at the AGM, the Lease requires the outside of the Pavilion to be painted this year and the Committee decided to seek estimates from contractors to do this work. One estimate has been accepted at a cost of £3180.00 plus VAT with a contingency of £250.00 for woodwork replacement. This is somewhat more than we had anticipated and flagged up at the AGM, but the Committee considered the cost to be reasonable. Employing in a contractor for this will also allow us to concentrate on bringing the interior of the Pavilion up to a good standard – it is looking a bit tired at the moment. See below for further information on this.
8. Pavilion Working Party – The Club will be organising a working party to take place over the three days, Friday 6th April, Saturday 7th April and Sunday 8th April. The objective is to bring the interior of the Pavilion up to a good standard of condition, ready for the new outdoor season. Please, if you have some time to spare over this period, come along and help with this work. The more help we get the easier it is for everyone. If you can let Terry Pickering or any member of the Management Committee know in advance of when you can come that would be very useful in planning coverage for the three days.
9. First Aid – Dave Marchant persevered last year and eventually was successful in obtaining a defibrillator for the Bowls Club. We plan to hold a revision course on its use at the beginning of the season and would appreciate as many members as possible to come along and take part. It is very simple to use and it could save a life if it is used properly.
10. Recruitment – We shall be holding an Open day for new members on Sunday 27th May, when we hope to encourage some more new faces to our ranks. It will be especially useful if some of our new members came along and helped with this. All are welcomed to join in. We have some booklets explaining the fundamentals of the game of bowls to hand out as well.
11. Dress sense on the Green – This has proved to be not an easy subject to bring up, not least of all because the standards that other clubs in the County look for do vary considerably. We have given a lot of thought to this and taken the views of members into account. The latest copy of the Constitution which is being circulated to all members reflects these thoughts and we hope that members will do their best to abide by the guidance given. Appendix D, item 4 of the Constitution refers.
12. Social events – Dave Marchant has been busy organising a number of social events through the year:-
Sunday 29th April – Sponsors Day – including bowls and nibbles.
Friday 25th May – Fish and Chips with Quiz.
Friday 10th August – High Tea and Bowls.
Sunday 19th August – Away Day – Lockswood B.C. Southampton.
Tuesday 4th September – Fish and Chips with Quiz.
Friday 12th October – End of Season Dinner – Wealden B.C.
Friday 14th December – Christmas Dinner – Wealden B.C.
13. Club Sponsors – Dave Marchant has also put in a lot of work in persuading a number of local firms to sponsor the Club. These sponsors are listed in the Fixture list and are also displayed in and around the Pavilion. Members are encourage to make use of these sponsors, many of which offer a very useful discount.
14. League matches – The Meridian League matches this year will comprise of four rinks instead of five, with at least one lady on each rink. All rinks to be drawn – there will not be a Captain’s rink. The Men’s Brighton, Hove & District League will continue much as before with Lewes being in Division 3. Entries will be made in both the Gladys and Edward Rowland competitions, which are run by Burgess Hill Bowls Club.
15. Finally, the Committee look forward to welcoming you all back to the Green. Please remember that all matches, apart from league matches (which are clearly marked up as such on the match sheets) are classed as FRIENDLY matches and they are played very much with that in mind. They give the opportunity to meet fellow bowlers from other clubs in a friendly and social atmosphere, play a game, have tea together and spend a pleasant and enjoyable afternoon of sport. So please, do not be put off putting your name down for these matches whatever standard you think you are at- your presence will always be welcome.
Enjoy the new Season!
LADIES CHAMPION 2017 – Paula Stayner
receiving her trophy from President Bill Richards.
Photo Dave Nellar
MEN’S CHAMPION 2017 – Chris Sykes
with Bill Richards, photo Dave Nellar
GIBSON TROPHY WINNERS 2016
DAVE MARCHANT AND SYLIVIA RIDDLES
RECEIVING THEIR TROPHY FROM PRERSIDENT BILL RICHARDS
COUNTY BOWLS MATCH AT LEWES
KENT and SUSSEX teams, Wednesday 3rd August 2016
Lewes versus the Mayor of Lewes team July 2016